Monday, March 26, 2012

Scripture Case




Seems like I am always able to find the flaws in tutorials or patterns.  I always run into the problem where something says to measure a certain way and I measure the exact way and it still doesn't turn out right.  I was making this scripture case for my son's 8th birthday.  I had to put it away for a little while due to being frustrated.  Amazing how much a clear mind can help you fix a problem and then you just get it done so quickly.  It only took me a few hours total to make this.  Due to the frustration and wrong measurements on the example I was looking at it was longer than I had anticipated.  It turned out pretty good.  I even put a pocket on the inside that wasn't on the instructions I was looking at.  I ended up having to add extra panels to certain parts to even make it work.  It looks good to me because I am the one that made it. LOL. I wanted it larger than the scriptures so that he wouldn't have to struggle getting them in and out.  I also wanted it larger because the pocket is on the inside.  I didn't want to put the pocket on the outside because I didn't want stuff to end up falling out of it.  I am satisfied with my final product but I think I may end up using some fray stuff on the edges on the inside since I don't' have a serger.  Hopefully someday I will.

P.S.  It may look crooked because of the first picture but it really isn't.  The one side was just pulled all the way up where the other side was laying down before.  Didn't want you to think I am a totally incompetent sewer and put a picture on the internet of something crooked.  It isn't crooked. lol

8 comments:

  1. it turned out way cute. and that tutorial was retarded. it shows that you know what your doing and you're good at b/c you were still able to make it even though the directions were wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks time consuming and tedious. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is the exact design I am looking for...Can you tell me what tutorial you did use (knowing I will probably have to tweak it like you) I just need a jumping off point. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the site I based my design off of. I did change my measurements a little. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Overall it was a pretty easy design. http://theseweistdiaries.blogspot.com/2012/01/scripture-case-tutorial-aka-one-where-i.html

      Good Luck

      Delete
  4. I am looking for the same design also. so I tried that link and it says that it has been removed. do you know of another place to find this tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I tried the link and Google must have removed it. Are you new to sewing? Or if I gave you measurements and some simple directions could you figure it out? I would be willing to type something up and give you all the measurements if you would like me to do so, unless you already found something else. Just let me know. You can email me directly at bvisser133 at yahoo dot com

      Delete
    2. If you still have them I would like them. I am looking for a zippered version for my son as the totes can look a bit feminine. I like yours and I don't have one to pattern it off of. Thanks.

      Delete
    3. Krissy-
      The blog that I used for my tutorial was deleted quite some time ago. I haven't been able to find one that I love since. If you are interested I could see if my sister in law knows of a good tutorial or has one. Let me know. Or my sister in law and I could possibly create a tutorial for you.

      Delete