Monday, May 20, 2013

Wilton Frosting Tip & Frosting Bag Review


 http://serendipitymommy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Wilton_Logo.jpg


**This is my honest review.  I did not receive any product or compensation.  This content is 100% my own opinion. 


Have you ever tried frosting a cake?  Having the right tools makes all the difference!

I just recently made a "Hello Kitty" cake and cupcakes for my daughter's birthday.  It wasn't my first cake and hopefully it won't be my last.  I had a cake decorating lesson about 5 years ago so I learned a few tips for frosting a cake, but I am definitely not a pro.  I would definitely like to learn more about cake decorating and maybe take some classes.

For this review I used the Wilton Featherweight Reusable Decorating Bag.  (I used the 14" size)



I also used the Wilton Coupler Set


I had a leaf tip, a round tip, a drop flower tip, and a star tip.  The only tip that I ended up using for this project was the star tip.  I look forward to practicing with the other tips in the near future. You can find some tips here.

Overall I thought the products were pretty easy to use.  They didn't come with much instruction so you kinda just have to know what you are doing.  Since I have used frosting bags before I was able to do it pretty easy.  The bags are just the right thickness.  They are not too stiff so they are easy to squeeze.  The only thing that I had a hard time with is my tiny hands. It is hard to hold a large bag in my tiny hands and squeeze the frosting out at the same time.  I have seen many people use one hand and do it so easily. Maybe again that just might mean many years of practice.  I ended up using both my hands to steady the bag since it seemed too big for my hands.  Next time I will try a smaller bag and see if it is easier for me to handle.  Overall the product worked wonderful and went together very easily.  I liked the sizes that I have but I look forward to trying different sizes and being able to make a different design.  It is amazing how just the size of the tip can change the look of your frosting and design.  



I had a lot of fun on this cake and the cupcakes.  I had used a homemade butter cream frosting.  It is a recipe that my husband loves and makes often.  I also tried my hand at fondant for the very first time.  I think it turned out pretty amazing for my first fondant experience. I really do not like the taste of fondant so I decided to make my own.  If you don't want to make your own you can purchase that as well and Wilton has a great fondant product. 



 It took me so long to smooth the frosting and to do the fondant that I didn't end up outlining the head.  I wished that I would have but I was too tired after all the cake and cupcakes that I did, I decided it was good enough.  I did the frosting and fondant on this cake completely by myself.  The cake took me about 2 hours because I am a perfectionist and my cupcakes took me about another 2 hours the next day.  I didn't have the energy to do them all in one day. 


I didn't really know how I was going to end up making all these cupcake toppers but somehow I did it.  I decided to cut circles and then shaped them into kitty heads.  Then I added black color to some fondant (it is not easy to get black or to color fondant for that matter).  I also made just a little bit of yellow since I knew I wouldn't need that much for the noses.  The longest part was rolling all the pieces and trying to get them to stick exactly where I wanted them on the heads. 



I look forward to having more Wilton products to use and to share. 
This project took a little longer than I had anticipated but it was just because I can't let my perfectionism go. It was worth it because my daughter loved it.  I also loved being the artist and creating it.
They tasted good and I hope you enjoyed seeing my creation. 




**This is my honest review.  I did not receive any product or compensation.  This content is 100% my own opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment